Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Healthy Meatloaf!!!

Meatloaf is one of those things that I heard a lot about in the movies, but had never eaten it. I made it for the first time a few weeks ago and it is now one of the staples that I try to keep in the freezer at all times. Believe it or not it is an incredibly versatile dish, and also pretty healthy. The bubs love it and so do me & Cam!! Here's my recipe:

Healthy Meatloaf

500g organic beef mince
1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs (I've also used cooked quinoa, and it worked great)
1 small onion, grated
1 carrot, grated
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped herbs (use parsley, coriander, basil, whatever you have)
1 egg lightly beaten
Any other veggies you fancy - I have added chopped green beens, zucchini, corn, peas, collard greens

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with hands until combined
4. Place the mixture into the loaf tin
5. Cover with tin foil and bake for approx 1 hr (or until cooked thru). I take the tin foil off for the last 5 mins or so, to let the top brown.
6. Remove from oven and pour off excess fat.

When cooled, you can cut it into slices and freeze in portions for a quick meal. Some meal ideas are;
  • You can serve it on it's own with veggies
  • You can mix it with noodles, veggies & tamari
  • You can mix with cooked pasta & cheese
  • You can put it in sandwiches
Really, a rather versatile dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment